The Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AIS lens was introduced by Nikon in 1981. This lens is so good that it was made for twenty years alongside AF versions. The 180mm f/2.8 AIS is one of the few hand-holdable, long and fast prime lenses. This lens is perfect for candid shots and formal (and informal) portraiture photography.
Even shooting at f/2.8, the 180mm AIS remains very sharp. It has some light falloff wide open that mostly is gone at f/4, and it completely disappears at f/5.6. It has no distortion.
The Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AIS is typical of Nikkor AIS lenses. Everything, save for the glass and the paint in the engravings is metal. The mount, the barrel, the hood, the filter threads, you name it.
Technical Specifications and Features
- Focal Length: 180mm
- Camera Mount Type: Nikon F Bayonet
- Optics: 5 elements in 5 groups, one big one of ED glass
- Diaphragm / Iris: 9 blades – Metal – Full-stop clicks
- Aperture Maximum: f/32
- Aperture Minimum: f/2.8
- Close Focus: 6 Feet (1.8 meters)
- Hard Infinity Focus Stop: Yes
- Weight: 28 oz. (800 grams)
- Dimensions: 78mm (3,1″) diameter x 138mm (5.4″) long
- Hood: Built-in telescoping metal hood.
- Filter Size: 72mm