The 85mm f/2 Nikkor AIS was first introduced in late August of 1981. The 85mm f/2 is a classic lens for indoor and outdoor portraiture. It enjoys a fine reputation for its excellent sharpness, and it has become a clear favorite among Nikon photographers.
The 85mm f/2 is tiny compared to its faster f/1.4 cousin, but the f/2 maximum aperture can be very helpful when shooting indoor sports or stage productions in dim light. This lens is exceptionally compact and lightweight for a telephoto lens.
Technical Specifications and Features
- Focal Length: 85mm
- Camera Mount Type: Nikon F Bayonet
- Optics: 5 elements in 5 groups
- Diaphragm / Iris: 7 conventional blades – Metal – Full-stop clicks
- Aperture Maximum: f/22
- Aperture Minimum: f/2
- Format Compatiblity: Nikon FX/35mm Film
- Close Focus: 3 Feet (0.85 meter)
- Hard Infinity Focus Stop: Yes
- Weight: 11.03 oz. (310 grams)
- Dimensions: 63mm (2.5″) diameter x 61mm (2.4″) long
- Hood: HS-10 Snap-on type
- Filter Size: 52mm